Sunday, August 31, 2008

Orienteeration

Contrary to his expectations, Sean loved orientation week. When he told me about it, he reminded me of that Simpson's episode where Springfield Elementary goes to the Springfield Knowledgeum (Science Centre) and Homer, after begrudgingly going along as a chaperon, joins the children in enjoying the zaniness that is discovering science. SCIENCE!!! After running around like an 8 year old all day, Homer tells Marge, "me and my friend found this red button, and I told my friend not to press the button, but he did and oh man...it was hilarious...and then, me and my friend..." to which Marge replies, "Homer, you're overstimulated. Let's get you straight home to a beer and then bed".


I searched the entire internet to find a copy of that clip so I could link it to the blog, but I was unsuccessful. I will award a prize to the swashbuckling sleuther who can find it. The episode is called "This Little Wiggy".


I'm happy he had such a great time, because a week of not having a great time would suck. He made some friends and is now eagerly awaiting the first day of school (Tuesday).

It's a long weekend (Thank-you, Ontario), so I'm working away like mad to get the house ready for viewing. It's coming along nicely. My parents came by yesterday to help out. It's amazing what a power washer can do for a deck that's a few years old. My mother picked about a zillion tomatoes out of the garden and there are more in there (she got freaked out by the earwigs, etc that would jump out and threaten to take her wallet). I also made a trip to IKEA yesterday to pick up some jazz for the house. Hopefully it jazzes appropriately.

I also bought an amazing antique piece at Value Village. VV in Kitchener now has a drive through at the back so that you can drop your stuff there and when dropping off a couple of bags of stuff, I came across this crazy chair. It's made of wood and crimson upholstery. I left, thinking, "we're purging - we don't need anymore stuff". I took another few bags to VV the next day and the chair was still there. I asked the nicest toothless boy (seriously) how much it would be once they sticker it. He said, "I don't know - I'll go check with the manager. It will probably be pretty expensive". He came back with a sorry-it's-going-to-be-expensive look on his face and he said, "yeah, like I thought...it's going to be $19.99". See, now I had psyched myself up so that if it was more than $50 bucks I'd walk away. I wouldn't even haggle. At $20, I would be losing money if I didn't purchase it. Seriously, do the math. So, I ended up taking it home the next day with a little help from my friends. There was no way I was going to be able to fit this thing in Joan Jetta. Check out the pic below. Obviously, the cats approve.


Sean spent a couple hours today touring around T-Bay with our realtor, Bob Pfaff. In an amazing twist of fate, we found out that Bob went to highschool with my parents. Small world. There wasn't anything that Sean felt was right for us, so he'll keep up the search. Here's hoping he finds something soon. I'm anxious to start my northern adventure. I at least want to be there before the snow falls at the end of September. Kidding...I know that the snow doesn't fall there until early October. ;)

5 comments:

  1. just as a supplement to this post, i'd like to state that i've never looked forward to any large social event, but i have also consistantly enjoyed them during and afterwards. i mean, i was a frosh leader for three years - you'd think i'd know that orientation week, regardless of what happens, is always fun. unless it's prison orientation week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you definitely missed Keith Urban on the Commons this weekend. Mix a rad country music bill with a bunch of grifted straw Corona hats and you got it - my type of shit. Here's to hordes. Northern hordes.

    This blog rules. I've never said that before, or even read a real blog. Now that I have a cat and am engaged I feel a kinship to this blog. Don't stop the body blog, Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true - Sean has never looked forward to any social event. I'm sure he'll feel the same way about our wedding. ;) Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i ain't got no cat, and i ain't engaged, but i still dig this blog here. And here I am, in Toronto, and FroshWeekin' like an eighteen year old. Drank too much booze, feel a little ashamed (??!?), getting ready for the SCUNT tomorrow.
    Holy shit - don't stop the betrothal bonanza.........
    Yeehaaaa, amazing. Felicitation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction - it usually snows for the first time on Halloween night -ask poor little Sean.

    It was 5 C one morning this past week but it did not snow......

    ReplyDelete