Monday, July 27, 2009

The Worst Wallet Week

A few weeks ago, I could not keep it together, and by "it", I mean my person and my wallet. My poor wallet was neglected and abandoned like a radio in the 60s.

Here's a breakdown of my wallet's bad week.

Monday @ 4am - got a call from Raymond at ultimatebid.com. They had reason to believe that my credit card had been compromised. He suggested that I call VISA right away. When I called VISA, I found that my card number had been used to make an unsuccessful $950 bid at ultimatebid.com, to fill up a Tim Horton's card to the tune of $95 (that's a lot of maple glazes!!) and to purchase two tickets to the movies. I think Scrooge McDuck was using my card number to live a wildly frugal life.


VISA cancelled my card right away and made an order for a new one. I was flying to Southern Ontario that morning and decided to see if I could sweet talk the car rental agency into renting a car to me sans credit card. The gamble paid off - they were willing to do a favour for a repeat customer. Thanks Sven from Advantage!!

Wednesday 830am - The bank gave me a new credit card on Tuesday, but I managed to misplace it by Wednesday morning. I stopped at Booster Juice to get some breakfast and I left my wallet on the counter. Um...yeah. I go to Booster Juice, but I promise I will never feel 100% comfortable saying "Strawberry Sunshine with a Power Booster, please". The day I start feeling comfortable with that gibberish is the day I start popping my collar.

Wednesday 630pm - On the same day as the Booster Juice abandonment, I left my credit card at the home of the woman who will be doing my makeup for the wedding. I swear that when I picked it up from her on Thursday afternoon, it had some tears on it.

Since that week, I've been suffering from "wallet anxiety". It's similar to the feeling of driving a car during the first few weeks after you've been in a car accident. You're confident on the road and not afraid of driving, but there is this ambient anxiety that a collision is lurking around the next bend. You're quick to tap the breaks and little things on the road make your adrenaline glands dump their glandage (that's a medical term, BTW). I'll be hanging out at the house/cottage/corner and I'll suddenly think "where's my wallet?" and until I find it, I experience an adrenaline-filled rampage that leaves all by-standers and purse flotsam & jetsam in its wake.


I've recently started carrying a purse again and man...you can pack a lot of useless crap and forgotten garbage into that thing! The primary reason for me carrying a purse again was to have a stylish laptop bag, but I've started to enjoy its many pockets, nooks and crannies (aka - wallet hiding spots) for various other reasons - like being able to carry all the stuff you'd ever need with you including various creams, balms and implements of beauty and destruction. It's a Swiss Army purse.


Maybe a complete purse makeover will ease my worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment